More on sausages 1

Today I visited Tesco again. Just needed a few bits and wanted to have another careful look to see if any new Free From products have appeared and I did see something I have never seen before.  Tesco’s own brand ‘Free From’ sausages. I picked them up and had a look at the ingredients. 75% pork which is very good, but the remaining content was made up with tapioca starch, potato starch, pea protein and a few other ingredients.

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=265374018

I was not tempted to try them. There is no need. The Debbie &  Andrew’s sausages are naturally dairy free, wheat free and gluten free and they are 97% pork and the remaining 3% is just casing and flavourings.

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=257577171

There is no need for a starch of any kind, so why have Tesco put it in their ‘Free From’ sausage? There is a theory out there at the moment that suggests that the rise in the number of food allergies and intolerances is connected to the amount of unnecessary cereal and ‘junk’ starches being added to our food. People are overconsuming them unknowingly and this is causing gut aggravation. Clearly the likes of ‘Debbie&Andrew’ have worked this out and are working to develop premium food products that not only taste good but are much better for us. Let’s hope more food manufacturers will follow their example – you would certainly think the likes of Tesco would have considered this when producing a product for their customers with food intolerances!

Advertisements

One comment

  1. Pingback: Gluten free, dairy free breakfasts. Option 12 – The Full English « feeding my intolerant child

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s